If you can’t find the answer to your question here, don’t hesitate to ask any of the leaders!

Where are meetings held/Where is the Scout Hut?

Meetings are normally held at the Group’s Scout Hut. This can be found at the end of Guessburn in Stocksfield, on the left just after the Tennis Club. If you are arriving by car, please park on the road.

When do you meet?

Each section meets on a different day: Beavers are on Tuesday evenings, Cubs on Monday evenings and Scouts on Thursday evenings – these details are displayed at the foot of every page. For more details see the appropriate Section page.

How much does it cost?

Members of each section pay a termly subscription to cover the running of the Group and a payment to the Scout Association. Currently this is set at £40 a term, making a total cost of £120 per year. It is the policy of the Scout Association that this charge should never be a barrier to participation – if it is an issue please discuss this with any leader.

How do I pay my subscriptions or for a camp/activity?

Use Online Scout Manager (OSM). This is a secure online system that supports online payments and calendar entries. Paying subscriptions this way allows us to automatically collect Gift Aid.

Are the leaders paid?

No. All the adults involved are volunteers.
Fancy getting involved?

Are leaders trained?

Yes. The Scout Association has a detailed adult training programme. Adventurous activities are run by individuals holding the relevant outdoor qualification – e.g. Mountain Leadership, British Canoe Union, etc. Leaders are also trained in First Aid, Safety and Safeguarding.

Are activities insured?

All young people and Adults taking part in Scouting activities as members are covered by the Scout Association’s insurance – provided by Unity (Scout Insurance Services). There is no extra charge for this, it is included in the subscription fees.

What is the uniform?

Each section wears its own uniform, which includes the group scarf.  You will get your badges and group scarf when you are invested, but each child should come with the basic uniform. See the Section pages for more details (including diagrams showing where to put the badges) or check on OSM.

Do I need uniform on day one?

No. Come along and try Beavers, Cubs or Scouts for a few weeks and see if it is for you first. You will need your uniform before you get invested (formally join the Group) – your leader will explain all this.

Where can I buy the uniform?

You can buy uniform online via the Scout Store website. Sadly, the Salto shop in Prudhoe has stopped stocking it. In general we suggest you buy on the large side to save having to move all the badges onto a larger uniform if your Beaver/Cub/Scout grows out of the first one!

Where is Dilston?

We make good use of the District Scout Campsite at Dilston. This is located just off the A695, on the left after the Physic Garden – just on the crest of the hill (OS Map reference for the camp: GRN NY 974 634, Postcode NE45 5RA) [see map]. More information about the camp can be found on the Scout Campsite Directory.

What should people take to camp?

You will be given specific instructions for each overnight activity but this general overnight camp kit list is a good place to start. Note that you don’t need to buy everything new. Also several outdoor warehouses offer discounts to Scouts (and even better deals for leaders). Check out OSM for more information.

Do you hold data about Group members and their parents?

The Group holds information needed to run a safe and effective programme. This includes contact details, age, medical information, and ethnicity and religion for equality monitoring purposes.

This information is stored securely on the Scout Association’s central database Compass – and also on the Online Scout Manager system. Parents can access and update this information using their private OSM page (more information about this is available from the Group Scout Leader).

How do I get in touch with Leaders at camp or activities?

For each camp or external activity, the leaders nominate an “InTouch contact“. This person is not at the camp/trip but instead co-ordinates communications. Their details should be included in the information about events on OSM. If you need to get in touch with the leaders or your child in an emergency, then you can do this via the InTouch contact – they will hold personal contact details for all adults. Equally if the leaders need to get in touch with parents – e.g. if the time or location for collection changes, this will be communicated to parents via the InTouch contact. This allows the leaders to focus on the activity in hand and ensures there is a way to get in touch with them, even if the Scouts are working in an area with limited mobile reception.

If you are unable to get in touch with the InTouch contact then you can fall back to the Group Scout Leader.

Where does the Hadrian District Cairn Award badge go?

Hadrian District Cairn AwardThis is special district badge. It goes on the right arm of a Scout’s shirt, at the bottom below the patrol badge and any APL/PL/SPL stripes. (If your Scout hasn’t yet got any of these stripes, leave a gap of a few centimetres to save you having to move it later!

More questions?

If you are a parent or guardian, you might find the answer to your questions on the Parental FAQ or the Child Protection pages on the Scout Association website.

Adding content to this site

If you have details of other events or photographs you want to see on this website then please get in touch with us – email web@1ststocksfieldscouts.org.uk.

@1stStocksfield   #Belonging   #SkillsForLife
Powered by Volunteers   Hosted by Kualo